Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Memorial Day at the Sand Dunes

I think I already mentioned that I went to the Sand Dunes with the Ailshie's and Stacey's extended family for Memorial Day weekend - on facebook, here, somewhere, it was definitely mentioned.

Anyway, it was A BLAST! Here's the run down.

Stacey, Ben, Ty, and Spencer went down Friday morning, and the rest of us (Brian, Carter, Lauren and I) had to wait until school let out, but we made a quick escape (after the standard detour to Walkers for a candy and a soda), hitting the canyon at about 4:30 - not bad, considering that contract time requires us to be at school until 4! On the way we jammed to iPod and Disney tunes and played a few of my personal favorite road trip games - cow poker and the semi game. We had to make a pit stop in Eureka for a potty break, and happened to stop right next to a virtual geocache at the Orrin Porter Rockwell cabin. It was too late to go inside, but we still got to peek in the windows. My two favorite parts, however, were the outhouse (I just have a thing for outhouses. I think they're cool), and the "graveyard"... Laure and I got to make Brian and Carter bury their cow poker points as we drove past it too! Yeehaw! :)

We camped just outside of the Little Sahara Sand Dunes park thing. It was nice to be outside of the park. I finally caught up on some journal writing I've been meaning to do, and just enjoyed a nice relaxing weekend, where I didn't think about school one bit! It was joyous! We played games and baseball, read, the kids went lizard-hunting, and several of the adults there picked out an eternal companion for me (Stacey's cousin who's on a mission). I went on my first two four-wheeler rides (and didn't scream at all, only nervously giggled A LOT), and was the first to spot two of the geocaches we found! All-in-all, it was GREAT fun!

Here's the Orrin Porter Rockwell House:


And the view from Cherry Creek View geocache Stacey and I found:


Me after my second four-wheeler ride (the fast one, when I was supposed to scream, but didn't):

No comments: