Ok, before I start into the chronicle of my day, let me just say that after my sister's experience in April with AA, I'm predisposed to dislike the company in general.
However, that dislike promptly turned into full-on loathing promptly at 11:36 this morning when their customer service representative informed me that since I was late for my flight (which left at 12:05, mind you), and I could not check my bag after 11:30 (6 minutes?! SERIOUSLY?!?!), that he would have to rebook me on a later flight.
Now before all you veteran fliers get your panties in a bunch, let me state, that I am NOT exactly a first-time flier. In fact, I've done this procedure at least 4 times a year for the last 6 years. I know you're supposed to arrive 2 hours early, but I never get there more than hour before hand if I can help it. Seriously, airports are more boring than the desert between Beaver and St. George, and many of you know my experience there! So, yeah, I was running late. I should have been there a little sooner, but, if you've never ever been running late in your whole life, I would love for you to please stand up, take a bow, and pat yourself on the back.
With that ridiculousness behind us, let me continue. Let me please state the well-known fact that your luggage does not travel on the same plane as you, therefore, if checking my bag was a real problem, they could've sent it on another flight, and let me continue on my way to my 12:05 flight, which, for the record, I would've made, with time to spare. It was clear to me, and a good friend of mine, that they had probably overbooked my original flight, and this provided them a perfect opportunity to solve some of that problem without me causing a scene (which I can tell you, with them, I probably would have) in the terminal. Yeah. So, they rebooked me and promptly informed me that when I returned I would have to pay the $15 for my checked bag on my return flight because they had had to rebook me, but that otherwise, that flight would not be effected.
Now, I realize with the cost of gas and loads of other travel crappiness going on, that costs have gone up... But what a rip off! Put my luggage on the dang plane, free of charge, and smile, I'm paying part of your paycheck! I appologize if my years of work in the customer service industry and my therefore high expectations bother you, but, that's a pretty big pet peeve of mine.
Please don't mistake my bluntness as me being disgruntled... Not at all! I have been giggling and laughing at myself for most of the remainder of the day after I vented to my friend!
After I made it through security, I was checking my pockets for my ID so they'd let me on the plane, and found my friend's school ID!!! Yes, folks, this is how we enter our school building, and I had to use his to drop in to school last night before I left, since it was cold and rainy and I was too lazy to drive the 5 minutes to my house to get mine... OOPS!!! Then came the adventure of finding an envelope and stamp and post office drop box to mail it back! Hee hee!
After that, I went to grab some lunch... Yeah, the Burger King at SLC does not have their classic chicken sandwich, or chicken nuggets! REALLY?! Yeah, since those are my two favorite things on the menu, I was a bit disappointed, and left the premises to go next door to a better, quite a bit yummier establishment. But seriously, the disappointment level was about as high as when I pulled into the Pizza Hut in Heber for my yearly craving a week ago only to find that they had done away with their lunch buffet! WHO DOES SUCH THINGS?!
Well, now, I'm sitting in Chicago, after finishing one novel, and having a nice, attitude-adjusting nap on the plane. I found my friend a cool thimble while wandering around the airport, and I also discovered something quite cool! Drumroll please....
There is a Children's Museum in the Chicago-O'Hare Airport!!! Ok, so, I only have minutes left until I board, but, when I come back in 3 weeks, I will have a 2 hour layover... PLENTY of time to explore such a cool airport feature! I'll take pictures, too, if they let me !
Ok, the other funny thing that happened today, was when my friend dropped me off at the airport, her four-year-old, ever the adorable ladies' man, apparently shouted! "See ya later hot stuff!" Hee hee! Well, at least someone thinks I'm good lookin'! ;-) Gotta board now!
Happy 8th Birthday Everett!
8 years ago
2 comments:
Arrrg! I always have bad experiences with American Airlines too. I played BANG! a few nights ago and thought of you.
Ahhh, the joys of airline travel. Still my favorite one is when I was living in Austria and my parents came to visit and take home a suitcase full of presents. They get back to the states and my suitcase, holding about $250 worth of awesomeness was nowhere to be found. It turned up 3 days later in Munich. Go figure.
Have fun at home!!!
Post a Comment