Last weekend, I had the opportunity to go camping with some friends, and their extended family up in the mountains. Our purpose for going was to gather wood for the family, which was hard work! However, the weekend, at least for me, ended up being so much more than that. It was a perfect final vacation before school starts - a break from the drama, frustration, and stress of beginning school.
At one point, we went up to find a geocache on the top of a nearby mountain with 22 of the kids that were there. The view was absolutely breathtaking - a full 360 degrees of beautiful mountain peaks. From there we could see both Timpanogas and Nebo, two of the highest peaks on the Wasatch front and countless other peaks.
I was amazed at how calm and happy I was throughout the entire weekend - the stress and responsibilities of school were the furthest things from my mind.
As I attended church last week, the reason for the peace I felt in the mountains came sharply into focus as we discussed temples. The Lord commanded Nephi, Moses and countless other prophets to "get thee into the mountain." WHy the mountain? Because there, as with the temple, we are removed from the noise and tumult of the world, and even our own shouting thoughts of anger, worry, and fear. There we learn to clearly hear His whose voice is there to protect, comfort, cheer, and guide.
I also realized quite profoundly this weekend that the Lord knows exactly how to reach us, in whatever circumstance we may be in - whether it be physically in the temple, in a Church meeting, or even in the mountains. He can reach us, and touch our hearts if we are listening.
Happy 8th Birthday Everett!
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment