I envisioned this summer as a care-free blast, with time to get everything ready for my classroom, and have lots of fun and rest to boot. Well, I’ve had my fun, and I’ve slept a lot, way more than is probably necessary. Things are coming along for my classroom. There’s still more to do, but of course, there will always be more to do.
The care-free part of the summer was the catch. Setting up a classroom and preparing to teach twenty-one second graders is not exactly a care-free venture. And preparing to teach means very little time for a job, meaning no income. Fun!
I’m also not a huge fan of change. To be a little more honest, I absolutely loathe change, for the most part. It has been a summer of lots of big changes. A change of dreams, a change of location, a change of jobs, a change in friendships. It’s been a lot to handle emotionally. Somehow, my friend’s blog from a long long time ago, popped into mind. I re-read it, and honestly, I can’t put it much better than he did. So, I’ll just anonymously quote him:
“The last fourteen days have been quite the rollercoaster. But it seems that most of the ride has been downward with not nearly enough ups to balance it out. Some days are definitely better than others, but they seem fewer and farther between than the harder days. Its hard to put thoughts into words sometimes -- it seems that right now is a time when it is even more difficult for me to do so… I have loved the outdoors my entire life. Constantly I find myself stuck at work or in a class and the only thing I want to do is run away up into mountains that surround and taunt me. Never has the desire to follow those urgings be as strong as they have been lately. Its the calm and serenity that can be found in the mountains that draw me to them… Times will be rough, but they're bound to get better. So grab your favorite Dr. Seuss book, find a quiet corner, read and think of the simple things that really make this life wonderful.” Thanks friend!
And now, facing my own frustrations, I finally understand what my friend meant. The thing that has brought me the most solace and comfort is an occasional long drive through the Canyon, windows down, music blasting, and children’s books, and being able to laugh and cry – a simple but powerful gift.
Last night, the urge to drive hit at about 3 AM. My friend talked me into staying home for safety reasons. But tonight, tonight I’m going. There’s nothing like these beautiful Utah Canyons, with their waterfalls, and sunsets. I can’t think of a better idea. Thanks for the wisdom friend!
Happy 8th Birthday Everett!
8 years ago
1 comment:
What the?! No updates since JULY?! Are you dead? I thought life was beautiful! Now I'm all depressed...
Post a Comment