Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Never hurry and never worry!" ~Charlotte, from Charlotte's Web

So, as you can see I am a TOTAL slacker when it comes to my blog. Even facebook and e-mail have fallen by the wayside as I have jumped into my first year of teaching. The last seven months have been some of the most challenging of my life, but also the most rewarding. When I went home over Christmas break, Mom gave me some of the best advice she's ever given me - Go live your life. Don't worry about what anyone thinks. Don't wait for anyone or anything. Go live life with no regrets and no "what if's".
Although that's something my dearest friends and parents have been trying to tell me for years, it finally sank in, and I took that as my challenge for this year. 2008 is my year of no regrets - and it's been AMAZING!
In January, I worked harder than ever to get my teacher work sample finished and turned in on time. It feels so good to be done with that and to be feel like I can be a good teacher again. I went to a Monster Truck rally with some friends, and to a car show with my brother before taking him up to check out Weber State University. While we were there, I completely fell in love with the Ogden area.
In a rash and emotional night, I went out and bought my own snowboard, boots, and all the needed accessories and gear, having no previous experience of any kind with Winter mountain sports. My board is gorgeous, if I do say so myself. I finally got to go boarding yesterday for the first time, and although it was hard, and I am sore and stiff today, I can't wait to hit the mountain again!
I also determined that I needed to get away this past weekend, regardless of other people's plans. Luckily, I was able to find a couple of friends to go with me to help with costs, and I escaped to the mountains of Ogden Canyon for the weekend. Although the stay was relatively short, it was liberating and rejuvenating.
Just today, my friend and I, who are both wildlife fanatics pulled off the road in Provo Canyon today and "chased" a moose! Really, we just hopped the fence and walked down to the opposite edge of the river that it was eating by. But I loved it! It was spontaneous and fun, and that moose was enormous!
I've always been a planner, but my plans have usually hinged on other people. No longer, my friend! I have big plans for these next few months and this summer, and I'm going. Come with me or don't, but, I'm going, come hell or high water! I'm going to Bullnanza next weekend, and Moab the following weekend, with several trips to Ogden, St. George, Moab, Las Vegas, San Diego, and back East planned for this summer. I'm going to party, dance, camp, hike, horseback ride, snowboard, stargaze, swim, and climb my little heart out!
Life is still stressful at times, but, I've learned that that's pretty much the point, and that it doesn't have to be paralyzing. I have been exceedingly grateful this semester for good home teachers who were there when I needed to make a split-second decision about taking on a Master's Program.
I have learned to love the quiet moments by myself when I have been able to really reflect and contemplate, and enjoy the amazing beauties around me. I have begun to cherish the moments when I begin to understand my place in this vast universe, and on a smaller scale, my part in a university that I had lost the vision of in my haste to jump through the hoops and navigate the red tape on the way to graduation.
What has made it all so wonderful is that I have had friends to share it all with, whether immediately, or from afar via technology. Nothing beats having someone be almost excited for you as you are for yourself when you accomplish a goal, try something new, or tackle an obstacle. As Wilbur learned in Charlotte's Web, "... friendship is one of the most satisfying things in the world."

Here are a few pictures:

1 comment:

Dave said...

Mals! So great you to have an update. I most heartily agree with your mama's advice, and I'm glad you seem to actually be doing it. I'm still shocked that you went out and bought all the snowboarding gear, incredible! Don't ever quit that, I loved it myself. I am worried about you loving the Odgen area...sketchy place (in most Utahn's opinion). But hey, whatever you really wanna do, do it! Hope all is going swell! Watch more Brian Regan!