Sunday, January 17, 2010

Abundance

Last year, my adorable cousin blogged about a word that she wanted to have as a theme for the upcoming year. This year, I decided I wanted to do the same. I found the perfect word just before Christmas last year while reading Emily Freeman's new book, The Promise of Enough.

The book is all about abundance. She sites the miracle of the loaves and fishes found in John 6:5-13. The Savior blessed and broke the five loaves, and two fishes provided by a young boy, and sent his disciples around to feed the multitude of thousands. The multitude ate what they would, and still there were twelve baskets filled to overflowing with what remained. "Enough and to spare. Abundance." In the book there is a quote by Elder Wirthlin, "The abundant life isn't something we arrive at. Rather, it is a magnificent journey that began long, long ages ago and will never, never end." In Alma 1:29, it says the people had "abundance of all things whatsoever they stood in need."

Emily Freeman mentions seven principles of abundance:
~abundance is turning our will over to God and allowing Him to do wonders in our life.
~abundance is recognizing our full potential as we give ourselves to the Lord.
~abundance is unmeasured blessings that come as a result of sacrifice and service.
~abundance is blessings predicated on obedience and belief.
~abundance is knowing that we cannot begin to understand what great blessings the Father has prepared for us, and learning to remember and express gratitude for those blessings.
~abundance is finding contentment because we remember to see the good things.
~abundance is understanding that the Savior loves us and is aware of our circumstances, and that He will send blessings above all we could ever ask for or imagine.

As it says in Doctrine and Covenants 71:6, "Unto him that receiveth it shall be given more abundantly."

In a relief society lesson that my friend Kelly was teaching, she asked us what we believe. I learned that my beliefs are not limited to the Articles of Faith. One of the things I wrote was, "I believe that there is abundance in this life." I believe that. I believe that the Lord is aware, I believe he has blessings in store, and I believe He keeps His promises. I believe that He does bless us abundantly. There is enough and to spare in this world - and often we have more blessings than we recognize.

So, my word for the year is abundance. I hope to be able to seek and recognize the abundance in my life - because it is there.

1 comment:

Mychael-Ann said...

Great word. I like the idea of a word for the new year. How are the chances of you making it to VA in Feb looking?