Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Positive vs. Negative Publicity

So, you know that saying about how negative publicity spreads like wildfire but positive publicity rarely spreads, so avoid negative publicity like the plague... or something along those lines.

Well, I'm going to do my small part to change that adage, by throwing out some positive publicity into the world wide void-ness.

If you live in Utah County (or even nearby) and are in need of a mechanic, I highly recommend Ray's Campus American Car Care Center. It's on the corner of Canyon and Bulldog in Provo by the Wendy's across the street from BYU. Seriously, Ray and Randy who own/run that place are AWESOME! Let me tell you why.

Several months ago I noticed my car was pulsating in the front when I put on the brakes. No worries, I drove to CO and back with it like that, not to mention the daily canyon drives... Well, being car illiterate, I couldn't really describe the problem very well, but they figured out that not only did I need front ball joints, but also brake pads, rotors and bearings. Joy. Well, when I found out it was going to cost over $900, I asked which was most pressing, and then I'd bring the car in and have the rest done two weeks later after pay day. My mechanic told me he'd rather have me driving a safe vehicle, that they'd fix it all, and I could pay it in chunks. Now answer truthfully, how many mechanics would really do that?!

Yesterday, when I noticed the pulsating again, but this time in the rear part of the vehicle, I took my car in for a brake check. It turned out that I needed not-so-free rear bearings. They ordered the part, but the guy quoted my mechanic the wrong part and at a lower price than the correct one and brought incorrect ones. When my mechanic tried to fix the problem, they only had one bearing. So, I hitched a ride home and they finished fixing it this morning... only to realize on the test drive that the real problem was the bushings. Lovely. So, instead of making me pay for everything, they took the new bearings out, and ordered the new bushings which cost about the same for parts and less for labor. They also told me that once it's fixed, if the cost is less than I paid (since I paid in advance, hoping it'd be fixed overnight and I could pick it up this morning - no such luck since the parts didn't arrive) then they'd give me a free service. Yay, since I need an oil change and safety inspection this month!

Ok, seriously, talk about people that bend over backwards to help you out!!! They are wonderful, and always try to get you the best quality service at the lowest cost. You can't say that for everyone, and I hate to say it, but the truth is, you can't say that for every mechanic, either.

I have to say I'm sure glad that I stumbled upon these guys, and so I highly recommend them to you, if you're ever in need of some car maintenance or service!!!

1 comment:

Spencer said...

I've taken cars there many a time. I trust them a lot, and even if you have recurring problems, they don't forget what's already been done until all the fixing/servicing is done (and correct). And they're nice people, to boot!