Sunday, March 08, 2009

Insights from Stake Conference

So, Elder Ballard came to our stake conference today. It was a spectacular meeting, and it was exactly what I needed to get me through another week. It has been a rough month, and the last two weeks especially have been particularly difficult, with at least two more hard ones to go. But, I've been learning a lot, and so, here come my jumbled, but poignant thoughts...

Hymn #270 - I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go - "So trusting my all to thy tender care, And knowing thou lovest me, I'll do thy will with a heart sincere: I'll be what you want me to be." This is something that I've always had a hard time with. I like to think that I know what's best for my life, but, I do know He loves me. So, if I know He loves me, I need to trust Him - trust that He knows what's best for me, and that He will help me, and for once, let go of what I want.

A couple weeks ago, a friend said something interesting to me. He said, There's a difference between what we think we're capable of, and what the Lord knows we're capable of. And the Lord will always get us to our potential if we don't give up on Him first. He will never give up on us. I realized that in my life, when something is hard, or hurts, I have often backed down, given up, or let go of that thing. This is the first time I have faced something that has literally broken my heart and beaten me to a pulp, and yet, I haven't given up. I haven't quit because what my friend told me is true. I have simply resolved within myself that I'm not going to back down or give up until the Lord tells me it's over. I've thought about that a lot in the last few weeks, and truthfully, it's gotten me through the rougher days.

President Quigley, our stake president, talked about Overcoming Feelings of Inadequacy, and offered the following 3 steps:
1 - Remember Who You Are - We need to learn to see ourselves as the Savior sees us, especially by studying our Patriarchal blessings. If we follow the promises there, and develop the talents and gifts we've been given, greater blessings will follow.
2 - Believe in Yourself - believe the promises that you have received. When you know you are right with the Lord, you wax strong in confidence before man. Only compare yourself with your own potential. The Lord has promised to be with us, and to protect us.
3 - Cling to the Gospel - read, study and learn for yourself. Go forward with faith, listening for the voice from the Lord reassuring, "I love you".

President Thunnell, a member of our stake presidency, talked about becoming a Light for the Savior, in the following 3 ways:
1 - Choose Wisely - Our choices determine our happiness, therefore obedience and proper priorities are essential. We have the power to act, the consequences being confidence, peace, comfort, and happiness.
2 - Search Diligently - Fill your life with spiritual essentials, the gospel must be written in our hearts.
3 - Love Completely - Charity is Christlike love. Be anxious to love those around you and focus outside yourself.

Elder Stone talked about knowing who we are. It reminded me of something one of my students told me this week, "Miss Herring, you're my sister!" They have such a keen sense of who they are, and who we all are - and will remind me if I let them. Heavenly Father has chosen eternally to be a parent. He cares just as much and more than, and in the same way as our mortal parents, friends, and others who love us. Knowing who we are and His love for us changes everything!

Elder Ballard, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, also talked about knowing who we are. When we left the Spirit World, we knew we were eternal, we knew that if we were alright inside that everything would turn out right, and we shouted for joy at the opportunity to come here, knowing the difficulties, and joys, that we would face. Priesthood blessings are directly from the Lord, in His name, and by his literal power - those promises are literal, and binding. Our Spirits are the most important part of ourselves, and are nourished when we serve in the name of the Lord - then we are entitled to Heaven's aid. It is wonderful, and amazing that the Spirit of the Lord speaks to our Spirits - we must follow those promptings. Once we know and understand who we are, we would do nothing that would offend our Spirits. At the end of his talk, he left us with an apostolic blessing, that we would have all we need to be happy and at peace.

I have realized over the last couple of days that I have been letting the challenges I have been facing at work to get in the way of the essential things of life. I am a daughter of God with great potential, and my calling as a teacher began long before I came to this earth - and no one can take that away from me, unless I allow them to shake my confidence, and I am done with that. I am returning to the basic, essential things, and letting the rest fall into place.

I know who I am, and I know that I am loved by an omniscient, and omnipresent God, and brother. I know because today, the sun shone warmly on my face, the sky was blue, a robin looked at me from a bush, and snow crunched underfoot. I know because my needs are met daily. I know because today I met a 3-year-old who started a snowball fight with me, just to enjoy the day. I know because I have an inspired Relief Society president who called just to check in. I know because I got to see friends today that I haven't seen in a long while, and who I know care about me. I know because I have friends that see not only my potential, but my current abilities, and remind me of them when I forget. I know because I have parents who love me too. And most powerfully, I know I am loved because in every talk and song and prayer today, His Spirit whispered to my Spirit, "I love you." I felt it, and I know it.


No comments: