Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world."

I've been on a bit of an Anne of Green Gables kick recently. Considering that I've watched all 3 movies about a billion times, the most recent bout the past 3 days, you will be shocked to learn that I have actually never read any of the books all the way through. Yes it's true. But, at least the first one is on my must read soon list.

So, today as I was driving home from work, I had a feeling that took me a good few minutes to identify. Having experienced an emotional roller coaster of a few weeks, it was novel to find that I didn't know exactly what I was feeling right when I felt it. This feeling turned out to be a mild form of restlessness - a feeling that is nigh unto a constant companion of mine, but, rarely in mild form. After feeling such utter peace and calm this weekend, I was intrigued by the reappearance of my companion.

I've always been told that what I long for deep down (yes the m-word, or an e.c.), would happen when I least expected it, and when I wasn't focused on it. I would honestly have to say that that would have to describe me in the last few weeks. I still long for it, who doesn't, but it's not been the focus of even my subconscious thoughts. And, as I've felt exceptionally protected and guided lately, I've wondered if that could be part of it.

This is all an extremely round about way of getting to my point... As I was feeling this restlessness, and realizing that I would be taken care of and there was no reason to feel that way, my thoughts turned to the people that have recently been the instruments of my protection and welfare. It wasn't until I got home that I finally found the word to describe them, because "friend" doesn't quite cover it.

I have been blessed with many a kindred spirit in my life. Interestingly, they come in all shapes and sizes, and occasionally unanticipated forms. There's the neighbor next door, down the hall, across the parking lot, or across the town; the teacher next door or down the hall; the sibling, parent, aunt, uncle, cousin, or grandparent; the youth group leader, teacher, and even, on occasion, the inanimate object. Yes, with my vivid, and often overactive imagination, even books, or at least the characters residing there can be kindred spirits.

They are the ones that I can't imagine living without, no matter the distance or circumstance that separates us. Whether by a note, a Christmas card, a phone call, a visit, or even the occasional blog post, they are the ones who can span time and distance to pick up where we left off, no matter the changes that have come, whose care and concern never cease to amaze me. They are the ones who will make an eternity in heaven worthwhile.

In a world which is often frightening, disheartening, disappointing, heartbreaking, and even dangerous, what comfort and solace it brings to feel and understand, that, truly, kindred spirits are not scarce, but quite abundant if you simply open your eyes and heart to recognize them. For the kindred spirits in my life, I am forever grateful.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Absolutely true. Your post explains exactly why I love hymn # 293 so much. Some of my favorite lyrics in the entire book; and the tune is great too. Enjoy the Office tonight, friend!