So, I don't usually take a stand on political issues - mostly because I know I'm not the most informed of individuals, and I'm also very passionate about some things. I just hate the political debates, especially this time of year, and to be honest, I've been ignoring most of it because, basically, I have felt that there is no "good guy" in this race, and we all feel like we're voting for the lesser of two evils. There are no party lines, and as far as I've seen both/all of them seem to skirt around the issues. I don't care that you can talk in a circle to get back to your pet topic - I want to know where you stand on the things I care about!
I've said many times that I've been looking for something along the lines of "An Idiot's Guide to Voting on November 4th: Where the Candidates Actually Stand on the Things You Care About." As this book is not located in any library or bookstore I've seen, I found the next best thing here: The New York Times: Election 2008 . Another good one is CNN's Election Center 2008.
My favorite part on both sites is the issues section, and for those of you who are more detailed and active than that, there's lots more to keep you happy and satisfied too! Now, I know most news stations and websites tend to be pretty biased. But, I feel like, at least in the issues section (where I've spent most of my time), they are pretty fair. You can also get a taste for where their running mates stand on the issues, plus key votes in the past as well! I really think we need to take the counsel of the Brethren on this one and study the candidates and issues before voting. This is the first election I've ever been eligible and felt knowledgeable enough to vote in. I agree with my friends who say, "If you didn't vote, don't complain." That's fair. However, I'm getting a little sick of the ignorant people who say I'm voting for so-and-so because he's a republican," or, "he's a democrat, and so he's stupid." Really? REALLY?!
So, for those of you who don't have time/energy to even click on the link above, here are some highlights from my favorite issues (most coming from NY Times)
Abortion:
John McCain wants to overturn Roe v. Wade, but has been supportive in the past; supported Supreme Court decision that upheld ban on partial-birth abortions; "strict constructionist judges." Barack Obama supports Roe v. Wade; criticized Supreme Court decision that upheld ban on partial-birth abortions.
Economy
John McCain wants to purchase troubled mortgages directly from financial institutions and restructure them. Cut capital gains tax rate. Blames lobbyists for financial crisis, and favors a new federal authority. Would make the Bush tax cuts permanent and eliminate alternative minimum tax. Barack Obama wants to immediately enact a set of tax cuts for individuals and businesses to help cope with the current crisis. Ban most home foreclosures for 90 days. Blames deregulation for financial crisis. Would repeal the Bush tax cuts for households earning more than $250,000.
Education
John McCain believes that the federal government should play a limited role in public education. Wants to keep NCLB's emphasis on standards and achievement but focus on individual achievement rather than group averages. "While NCLB has been invaluable in providing a clear picture of which schools and students are struggling, it is only the beginning of education reform." Would allow parents to choose the school for their children. Believes in evolution; thinks school districts should decide whether to teach other ideas. Barack Obama proposes $18 billion a year in new federal spending on early childhood classes, teacher recruitment, performance pay and other initiatives. Would rewrite NCLB, retaining its emphasis on high standards and accountability but offering more help to high-need schools, including training thousands of new teachers to serve in them. Believes the law is good in concept but needs funding and better measurement of student progress. Would double federal spending on public charter schools while holding them accountable. Believes in evolution; does not think that intelligent design should be taught alongside it.
War in Iraq
John McCain voted in 2002 to authorize invasion, still supportive; favored troop increase, and argues that security allowed political headway; against a timetable for withdrawal, but projected he would have most forces home by 2013. Barack Obama opposed invasion from the beginning; opposed troop increase; wants to withdraw one or two brigades a month to finish within 16 months and spur the Iraqis to reconcile their differences.
Stem-cell Research
John McCain has supported federal financing for embryonic stem cell research; lately has suggested that other kinds of stem cells may make the use of embryonic cells unnecessary. Barack Obama supports federal financing for research on human embryonic stem cells, noting that most scientists describe them as essential tools for research on a number of diseases.
Same-Sex Marriage (as reported on CNN)
John McCain believes the institution of marriage is a union between one man and one woman. Voted for the Defense of Marriage Act but voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment. Says states and local governments should set their own marriage policies. Barack Obama opposes same-sex marriage, but also opposes a constitutional ban. Says he would repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment. As stated on the Obama campaign Web site, he supports full civil unions that "give same-sex couples equal legal rights and privileges as married couples, including the right to assist their loved ones in times of emergency as well as equal health insurance, employment benefits, and property and adoption rights."
And a note on Proposition 8 for those of you eligible to vote in Cali: My friend recently wrote an excellent post on this issue. I think you should check it out, and then go to Protect Marriage and Preserving the Divine Institution of Marriage. I too firmly believe that "marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God, and the formation of families is central to the Creator’s plan for His children."
So, before you vote, please be informed. The things you've heard or the things you think you know about a candidate or issue may turn out to be false. Your vote changes lives.
Happy 8th Birthday Everett!
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment