Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ode to all of the "STP's"

I grew up in a family of "STP's," and I have been fortunate enough to be surrounded by STP's nearly my entire life, so naturally, the characteristics have rubbed off. For those of you who are unaware, STP's are generally found at church, and they are the Same Ten People that volunteer for everything and show up to everything. I've learned recently that STP's aren't just found at church, but also at work, at home, and just about anywhere.

As an STP, however, I find it hard not to be irritated by those who are the CDAP's (Can't Do Anything People). Now, I understand not wanting or being able to go above and beyond all the time. That's fine and totally understandable. However, being totally helpless about everything drives me crazy! Here are some examples from the last few days:

"I couldn't do that because I didn't have enough copies for everyone." So make more!

"I can't do that activity because I don't have the materials." So buy/make some! To which I responded by making the stuff they didn't have for them...

"I can't buy groceries because there's just too much in our fridge." Then take the time to clean or organize it - you'll probably find something edible that's yours!

"I won't do that because it's too awkward I don't know anyone." Then go out to things and meet people!

Ok, now, that last one I am guilty of as well - and I'm working on changing that, however, why isn't it common sense to get off your tucus and do something rather than sit around and complain about stuff all the time. Seriously world, how about we all spend a lot less time talking about the problems, and occasionally the solutions to those problems and spend more time making/being the solution! Believe it or not, there won't always be an STP to clean up after you.

No comments: