Friday, February 17, 2006

"Count the garden by the flowers, never by the leaves that fall. Count your life with smiles and not the tears that roll."

This blog originally posted Thursday February 16, 2006:

Well, I'm back after a long break from blogging. Actually, I love blogging, but this semester I have no time. Literally none.

A few days into the semester, I realized how hard it was going to be in every way: physically, emotionally, socially, and spiritually. We're not even half-way through yet, and I'm really really behind. We have a three-day weekend this weekend, but it's also our last holiday of the semester.

The last two weeks have been rather... blah... for me. I was at home on my couch with an upper-respiratory infection for most of that time, bored out of my mind and getting behind in my classes. But, antibiotics work wonders, and after some recovery time, I jumped back into the swing of things. But, I just wasn't happy. I wasn't unhappy either. Just... blah... It was a "blah" two weeks.

Well, all that changed this Sunday. I should also mention that one of my friends and his girlfriend broke up about two weeks ago, and I've been thinking about him and praying for him a lot since then. (It factors into the story).

So anyway, Sunday... I have been having a rough time with one of my roommates, and for the first time in a while, I had the whole house to myself for most of the day. It was really nice. I spent the time reading, playing the piano, and writing in my journal, three of my favorite things. I checked my friends' blogs to see if anyone had written anything recently (they're almost always good for a laugh). The only person who had updated, and was therefore worth a read, was the friend I mentioned above. At the end, he said, "Times will be rough, but they're bound to get better. So grab your favorite Dr. Seuss book, find a quiet corner, read and think of the simple things that really make this life wonderful." So, I decided to take his advice.

I have this book called Seuss-isms: Wise and Witty Prescriptions for Living from the Good Doctor. I pulled it out, along with Oh the Places You'll Go, curled up in my favorite blanket, and read. I laughed, I cried. It made me think, as my friend suggested, of the simple things that really do make this life wonderful. I really do have so much to be thankful for, especially my dear friends who substitute for my family while I am here at school. We have had some really fun experiences, and made some crazy memories. I love it! And while everything is changing, we will still be friends. We'll still keep in touch, it will only require a little more effort.

Well, I found this awesome quote while I was reading:
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~Dr. Seuss.

What an awesome thought! It was so awesome that I used it in our ward devotional that night. (I'm one of the few people that can quote Dr. Seuss and Joseph Smith in one sentence and make it work!).

Later Sunday night, my friend Dave came over and we talked for almost two hours. It was wonderful. Sometimes it's just nice to have someone there to listen and offer advice, without judging. Dave is so laid back and positive - even when things by most standards are crappy - and I really admire him for that. We talked about a lot of things, from my struggles with my roommate, to my good friend who is on a mission, his struggles, and even a fireside we had watched with some of our friends several months ago. Honestly, I think we both just needed that at that particular moment.

On Monday I woke up five minutes before I raced out the door to my 8 o'clock class, but, with a decidedly better outlook on life. Nothing particularly exciting happened that day, but it was a good one. On my way home, I was talking to my parents on the phone, and the national anthem came on the loud speaker, so I stopped walking and stopped talking to them while the flag on campus was lowered. Since I couldn't really the flag, I just looked around me. My breath was taken away by the beauty that surrounded me. Mount Timpanogos, better known as "Timp" was spectacular. It was covered with snow, but the sky was completely clear blue. Then, the thought came into my mind, "This is all for you. Just remember I understand."

Wow.Tuesday was Valentine's Day. For most single people, it's one of the worst and most annoying days of the year. But, not for me! I was super happy the entire day. I took an enormous bag of candy to school with me, and spent the entire day eating chocolate and sharing it with my friends. I figured if I'm so happy, I should spread the joy. I thought of my friend Dave, and decided to take him lunch at work on my way to class. When I went to drop it off, he wasn't there, and one of the managers that I don't know was there... After I worked up my courage and realized, "hey you're at BYU, everyone's nice, you're not going to get anyone in trouble!", I walked in, and asked if I could leave the bag on Dave's desk. His manager was like, "Hmm.. smells like french fries. Nothing says 'Happy Valentine's Day!' like french fries!" I responded with, "You know that's true... That's why I bought myself some too. I'm sure Dave will share though!" Uh... awkward. I was glad I decided to leave him a note, cuz, he would have thought I was crazy if he came back and his manager said, "Hey, some girl came by and left you some Valentine's Day french fries!" (He probably would have laughed really hard though!) I had class until 7:30 that night, and then I stopped by my friend Mike's house just to chat for a few minutes. Then I went home and did homework all night. Around 10 Dave called to thank me for the lunch, saying it was perfect timing, and asked if he could come do some laundry. I was glad it made him happy. Although most of Tuesday was spent doing school work, it was still fun.

Yesterday was Wednesday, and my longest day. I was on campus for over twelve hours and pretty much wanted to curl up in a ball somewhere by the end of the day. On my way home I was so exhausted I just wanted to cry because it had been a long day. So, I called home and talked to my mom and dad for a while. When I got off the phone I decided to go borrow a movie from Dave. He wasn't around, and I was going to borrow a movie anyway, but I ended up talking with his roommates Taylor and Brent for a little while and watching the olympics with them. After that I went home and went to bed, feeling decidedly better than I had when I was on my way home from campus.

In my religion class we've been talking about Celestial homesickness. I think that was the rut I was stuck in for two weeks. I was pretty tired of and bored with life here. I wanted something more. I wanted to feel like I was home. The last few days I realized that home can be anywhere there is love. The last few days I have felt an outpouring of love from the friends I care the most about, and I have been able, to a small extent, to return that love to them. I know I will never be completely happy until I return to my eternal home, but, that doesn't mean that this life isn't wonderful, or that I cannot be happy here. Like my friend said, life has it's hard times, but, they will always get better, but while you're waiting, focus on the simple things that make life incredible, and so worth it.

No comments: