What a powerful, emotional day! I love being greeted by flags everywhere I look. Such a powerful display of solidarity!
In my classroom we started the day watching a video and discussing the basics of September 11th - what happened, why it happened, and why we celebrate it. Thank you BrainPop for animated, tactful, factual, sensitive videos about hard topics that kids can understand!
Then we watched 911day.org's video about the movement to make this day the single largest day of service and kindness-from hygiene kits and book drives to flash mobs and smiles-thousands of people doing kind deeds makes this a day of powerful solidarity, rather than sadness and fear.
After the video, my students finished this sentence:
On September 11, 2012 I will...
...say thank you to a police officer
...help my mom
...collect toys and clothes for kids with cancer.
So, what will YOU do?
Happy 8th Birthday Everett!
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment