Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Perfect Valentine's Day

Ahh, the joys of modern technology! I post something fun on my facebook status and the world needs an explanation! So, here it is... my definition of a perfect Valentine's Day.

So, my roommate and I were reading in Schooled Magazine last week, and as a joke read their section on Valentine's Day - and how to spend a date-less one. It rambled a lot about not getting down, and then it gave lots of pretty good advice about pampering yourself, giving to others, and celebrating dessert.

At that point, I pretty much already had most of my plans for Valentine's Day laid out, and was impressed with my own ability to follow the advice of "the experts" without having read it first. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this single and thriving thing!

So here's how it went down:
Thursday, I had a Valentine's party with my students. That was fun! Then we went ice skating on Friday which was also quite enjoyable!

Spent Friday evening hanging out with some friends, then went out to a nice restaurant with my roommate. We joked about leaving notes to our cute waiter, but then my roommate actually did! We came home quite giggly and watched You've Got Mail, one of our all-time favorite chick flicks! And of course, being me, I promptly fell asleep (I didn't even make it through the opening sequence)!

Saturday morning I was woken up quite early, which actually ended up being a very good thing, because I had to take my car in for some repairs. My roommate and I went out and got breakfast at Kneaders, our all-time favorite breakfast spot. Then we splurged on ourselves and others at a flower shop, bringing home beautiful bouquets to brighten our apartment. After all that, we went out to lunch, which we brought home so we could enjoy it while watching P.S. I Love You, and the snow falling outside. About the time we finished that my best friends showed up with my adopted nieces and nephews. We played while their parents went to the temple. I love those kids, and it was a total blast, although we didn't do a single one of the Valentine's activities I had thought of. Their parents came back bearing gifts of pizza and cookies, so, we were quite excited! After pizza we made books, which is a new favorite pastime of mine! It was great! It was a long, exhausting day - but the good kind of exhausted, the kind that makes you go to sleep completely content with the world. And I was.

Probably the best part of the day was that I never once thought about the fact that I didn't have a significant other, or that I haven't been on a date in awhile - and I stayed away from the situations and people that would dwell on those facts. First of all, neither of those things bother me, because I'm happy and I know that will happen for me eventually. Secondly, I was surrounded by lots of wonderful things yesterday - beautiful flowers, quality entertainment, good food, and most importantly, people I love! That, dear reader, is what Valentine's Day is about - spending time with those you love, whether they be friend, significant other, spouse, parent, or child. It's just about being together! That is why my Valentine's Day was absolutely perfect!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love it! Yay for you Mallory!!! :) I love Valentines Day and know I always will, married or single (which hopefully won't happen but if whatever reasons it does) Valentines day will still be a fun holiday! You're so right! I love yoU!!!! Lets do a romate get together again SOON!