My 23rd birthday is in two days. Wow. I love having a birthday close to Thanksgiving, and as that holiday nears each year, I pause to reflect on the joy and fun of birthdays, Thanksgivings and Christmases past.
I love Thanksgiving because it means that Christmas is right around the corner, and with it a myriad of joyful festivities. This year, I'm excited for Jon Schmidt, Eclipse, the First Presidency Devotional, The Polar Express, Temple Square, The Forgotten Carols, A Christmas Carol, and of course, hot chocolate, snow, sledding, sweet deliciousness, and Christmas movies every night!
Last night while watching the BYU v. Utah game, I was reminded of one of the best birthdays I've ever had: My 21st Birthday in 2006. For most LDS kids, the 21st birthday is an anti-climatic event. However, for me it was delightful. The day after Thanksgiving, that year, I sped down to Provo to watch the BYU v. Utah game with my roommate and best friend. I distinctly recall watching 3 seconds of glory with a blanket up to my eyes, holding my breath and jumping on the couch and running around the parking lot afterward.
The evening was complete with my roommate having made me a birthday pie - something only my mother has ever done for me, and thoughtful gifts from friends, window-shopping, and then hot chocolate, Krispy Kremes and a Christmas movie with friends, and a party with my family back in Draper.
As I watched and listened to the BYU v. Utah game and then headed to the Coldplay concert, I was flooded with these memories, and couldn't help but be exceedingly happy, in spite of yesterday's loss. It's ok, I can look back on better sports days, and hope in the idea that one day, former glory will return.
Happy 8th Birthday Everett!
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment