I recently realized that Winter semesters, in spite of the snow, have always been my best semesters, usually due to the people I meet and spend time with. My freshman year, I had a great guy friend that I spent a ton of time with, who taught me a ton before leaving the following summer on his mission. My sophomore year, one my best friends moved into my ward, and we began what continues to be a wonderful friendship. Last year, a guy I didn’t know became my home teacher, and soon a very good friend.
This year, the trend continues! I have the greatest home teachers in the world, and as I have gotten to know them, I have made some very dear friends. It has been such a joy to sit around and talk, watch movies, plan fun activities, laugh, sing, and just enjoy life with each other!
This past weekend, as Part II of March Madness, we took off to
The next day was the Half Marathon, and we went into
On the way home we enjoyed similar games. We stopped in Price at JB’s for dinner. That was fun and entertaining – something to do with Shamu on the freeway, fake kissing, and hot faces – well, I guess you had to be there, but, trust me, it was great! J We were shocked to be met with snow when we started through
As I’ve thought about it recently, I’ve been so moved. I feel so very blessed to be where I am, with the friends that I have. We’ve all been told to marry someone that makes you want to be a better person. Well, I don’t think it could hurt to surround yourself with those people now. And literally, I want to be a better person because of the people I am surrounded by – I want to read my scriptures, go to the temple, and pray more, listen to good music, watch good movies and TV shows, do challenging things, and practice the piano more just because I see my friends do those things – not in a judgmental or hypocritical way, but simply doing it because they know it’s right and good. I am so happy – I find myself smiling and laughing to myself for no reason other than that a memory of a friend has crossed my mind!
So I close with the words from a favorite hymn, because it expresses the feelings of my heart in a way that I can’t find the words for:
“For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior’s name,
Who bless our days with peace and love.
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.”
2 comments:
Thanks for the update, Mal! The Moab trip sounded like a blast and it seems as though you're doing well! Run! Run! Run like a squirrel!
Mallory! I did not know you had a blog! I was reading it during my spare time today, and reading about our trip to moab literally made me laugh out loud. I totally forgot about shamu on the freeway...oh man, I miss being in Utah.
Post a Comment