Monday, April 17, 2006

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." ~Annie Dillard

I just spent three glorious days in Draper with my adorable, sweet cousins. I spent a lot of time helping two of my cousins babysit her sister's neighbors' kids (confusing I know). Essentially, I spent most of my weekend babysitting, and cooking, but it was so fun, and exactly what I needed!

Friday I spent the whole day working really hard to get as many of my projects and classes finished before I left for Draper at 7:30. I took two tests in the space of an hour, and actually felt good about both of them! I finished 2 art assignments, which completed that class. I also finished my children's book for my music class. That project took so long! All total it cost me about $30 and at least 15 hours. It was absolutely ridiculous, but, I think it looks great, and I'm just really glad to be done. One of my friends told me I should really try to get it published. I'm not sure if it's that good, but, yeah. We'll see what my professor said - I'm all over extra money, if someone will really pay me for it! When I got home around 4:30 that afternoon, I cleaned my apartment, did my laundry, and cleaned my room.

I spent Friday night, Saturday, and most of Sunday with my cousins. We did lots of crafts, watched "Lady and the Tramp" and "Baby Signing Time" about five times each, and the usual Easter festivities (an easter egg hunt for the kids, and a large dinner complete with strawberry trifle, and eclair cake for the adults)! In reality, I spent a lot of time babysitting and cooking, but it didn't matter because I was with my family! One of the little girls my cousins were babysitting was one and my other little cousin was one and a half. They are two of the cutests and sweetest kids I have ever seen! They are so innocent, trusting, and affectionate. My favorite thing about the whole weekend was cuddling with them just before their naps. There's nothing quite like having those tiny little fingers wrap around one of yours and guide you around the yard to look at the little things we often take for granted (the swingset, the rocks, the grass), or having those two little hands reach up, begging for you to pick them up. Those are the moments that make life truly beautiful.

I have to say that being away from Provo gave me a much needed break, and helped me to regain my perspective, which, I must admit, had been slipping a little. On the way back to Provo, I was talking to my aunt and uncle, and I realized that I am at a perfect place in my life. I am in a perfect position as far as my education and career are concerned, to get married at any time. I was able to step back and realize some of the little ways that the Lord has proided for me. I gained some perspective on a dear friend of mine, whom I love, which was definitely needed. I'm so looking forward to this coming spring and summer! I just have to make it through the next week and a half. But I have stopped caring about my grades and started caring about what I learn.

This weekend I stayed with my cousins at a stranger's house (remember, they were babysitting). I absolutely loved the way she had decorated her house. One of the walls had a wonderful quote about peace on it, that I love. This isn't the exact one, but, pretty close:

"Peace is not an absence of chaos or trouble, but to be in the midst of all these things and be calm in your heart."

Amid the chaos, and sometimes trouble, of my daily life, I'm perfectly content where I am - single, not dating, working hard at work and school - because I am at peace. I am calm about my future. I know that one day I will get married, and whether it is someone I think I would like to marry right now, or someone I still have not met, I know that the Lord will provide a way for it to happen in his time and not my own. While everything around me is changing, I am completely content knowing that no matter what separates us, we will all come together again one day and revel in the joy and love of friendships rekindled and strengthened. That is a peaceful, calming thought!

No comments: